Keyboard shortcut is the combination of two or more keys that, when pressed, can be used for performing the task that would typically require a mouse or other pointing device. When using Windows 8.1 new interface in a traditional method, it might require sometime to accommodate, tasks of navigating through the OS and its new apps can be simplified by using the keyboard shortcuts that Microsoft has made available. Using this keyboard shortcuts, it will be easier to interact with your Windows 8.1 computer, saving you time and effort as you work with Windows and other applications. Many of the shortcuts shared in this tutorial were chosen while thinking what applications or settings you might access or use on a regular basis. These keyboard shortcuts on Windows 8.1 are simple enough to be easily grasped by anyone and they will help you be more productive in your daily tasks.
Some of the keyboard shortcuts that are used on Windows 8.1 are mentioned below:
- If you want to close the current application on Windows 8.1 PC then press Alt+F4.
- To close the current browser tab or document quickly then press Ctrl+W. This keyboard shortcut often closes the current Window 8.1 if there are no other tabs open.
- One of the fastest way to lock your Windows 8.1 screen is by quickly pressing Windows Key + L.
- Ctrl+Alt+Delete will take you to a screen that allows you to quickly launch the Task Manager.
- Windows Key + P allow you to open the Project sidebar for extending your image to a second screen. And if you have multiple screens or if you are using a video projector, this sidebar allows you to choose how the image must be displayed.
- Windows Key + F1 help you to launches the Windows Help and Support documentation provided by Microsoft.
- Windows Key + E launch File Explorer both from the Desktop and the Start screen.
- Windows Key + R begin to run dialog that you can use to run programs or commands.
- Hold the Windows key and press D in order to show and hide the desktop.
- Windows Key + X helps to launch a hidden menu with many useful shortcuts. This menu is also named the WinX menu or the power user’s Start Menu.
- Windows Key + L keyboard shortcut allows you to lock your Windows 8.1 PC or device and takes you to the Lock screen.
- You can hold the Windows key and press Spacebar to choose a keyboard language and pick a different keyboard layout.
- Just hold the Windows key and press E to open File Explorer.
- Press Control, Shift and Esc together in order to open Task Manager.
- Hold Alt and press Tab key combination to switch between all open apps, including those in the Modern and desktop UIs.
- You can hold Ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel up or down to zoom in or out.
- Hold the Windows Key and press P to select a display presentation mode.